"Bindle"

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Fri Jan 8 02:44:40 UTC 2010

On 1/7/2010 8:31 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Wilson Gray<hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Bindle"
>
> Wasn't there also a story named "Cities in Flight"? Or is that just a brainfart?

 From the Internet Speculative Fiction Data Base http://isfdb.org:
     *  Cities in Flight
           o Cities in Flight (1970) [O/4N]
           o 1 They Shall Have Stars (1956) also appeared as:
                 + Variant Title: Year 2018! (1957)
           o 2 A Life for the Stars (1962) also appeared as:
                 + Magazine Appearances:
                 + A Life for the Stars (Part 1 of 2) (1962)
                 + A Life for the Stars (Part 2 of 2) (1962)
           o 3 Earthman, Come Home (1955) also appeared as:
                 + Magazine Appearances:
                 + Earthman, Come Home (Complete Novel) (1955)
           o 4 The Triumph of Time (1958) also appeared as:
                 + Variant Title: A Clash of Cymbals (1959)
                 + Magazine Appearances:
                 + The Triumph of Time (Complete Novel) (1961)

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Robin Hamilton
> <robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com>  wrote:
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Robin Hamilton<robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: "Bindle"
>>
>>> "Bindlestiff" was also the
>>> title of a coverstory by James Blish, in Astounding(?) SF in the late
>>> '40's or early '50's.
>>> --
>>> -Wilson
>>
>> I must have come across this when it was reprinted as part of the third of
>> what became the Cities in Flight series -- _Earthman, Come Home_ (1955).
>> "Bindlestiff" was used to refer to a particular kind of flying city, as I
>> remember it.  The whole series drew on a range of background reference to
>> American workers' movements.
>>
>> Robin Hamilton

> --
> -Wilson
> –––
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"––a strange complaint to
> –Mark Twain

Dan Goodman
Journal at:
dsgood.livejournal.com