"[chimpanzee] politics"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 14 15:21:09 UTC 2010

At 8:00 AM -0500 1/14/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>We need to find out if Morgan was using "primate" to stand in for
>"human" ... and what "descent" refers to.
>
>Joel

I have her book around somewhere but who knows
where.  Its title is a pun on the (at least then)
widely used locution "The descent of man" for
evolution of humans; her point was that women
played more of a role in this than men did,
prompted by their need to care for infants, which
caused women to spend a lot of time in the water,
keeping the kids out of harm's way.  There was
more to it than that, but it's a fun read as
books on evolutionary biology go and actually
more convincing than I can make it sound here.
She wouldn't have used "primate" to stand in for
"human", but she would certainly have compared
the origins of humans (using the informed
speculation she brings in elsewhere in the book)
with that of other primates--and she also has a
lot to say about elephants, whales, and other
non-primate mammals.

And eels.  To crib from an old paper of mine,
"Eel of darkness, eel of light", discussing
man's, and especially woman's, profound fear of
snakes:

===============
Morgan (1972: 157) rejects the standard view
attributing this phobia to 'something we brought
down with us from the trees'.  Rather, as befits
our evolutionary lineage as the aqueous ape, it
is not the snake in the grass that gives us those
'atavistic creeps' but the deadly eel in the
water.  As evidence for her proposal, Morgan
points out that while 'the snake is by an
enormous margin the animal that most people
loathe', further inquiry shows that the
creature's most abhorred attribute is its
'sliminess'.  Mais où sont les slimy snakes
d'antan?

Now, an eel is very slimy, but a snake's skin is
as dry as a length of sunbaked rope.  That slimy
snake that haunts our nightmares exists nowhere
on God's earth, except in the backwaters of the
race memory of Homo sapiens.
        (Morgan 1972: 157)

And it would have been especially the female of
the species, naked in the shallows with an infant
or two in close attendance, who was most
vulnerable to the mordacious ravages of the eel,
and hence the most likely to have translated this
memory into what endures as a vestigial phobia
within the sex-linked collective unconscious.

LH