Fear of eels

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 14 15:49:20 UTC 2010

At 10:34 AM -0500 1/14/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Perhaps.  But vervet monkeys (from an ancestor of
>whom humans are descended) have three words to
>warn of danger, one of which means "snake".  (The
>other two are "leopard" and "eagle".  See, e.g.,
>Nicholas Wade's Jan. 11/12 NYTimes
>article.)  Perhaps it is really the dry, scaly
>forest or savannah snake, not the wet, slimy
>water-borne eel, that is our primal (primate?) fear.
>
>Joel

Ah, but why then do we think of/describe snakes
as slimy?  Maybe our ancestors (or our ancestors'
ancestors) knew about those dry, scaly snakes
from our forest days, but then transferred the
loathing (and the words?) to the slimy eels.  The
collective unconscious can be a bit murky, after
all.

LH

P.S.  I especially liked the part of Wade's piece
in which he describes how Campbell's monkeys have
developed affixal evidential markers:

===============
The Campbell's monkeys give a "krak" alarm call
when they see a leopard. But adding an "-oo"
changes it to a generic warning of predators. One
context for the krak-oo sound is when they hear
the leopard alarm calls of another species, the
Diana monkey. The Campbell's monkeys would
evidently make good reporters since they
distinguish between leopards they have observed
directly (krak) and those they have heard others
observe (krak-oo).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/science/12monkey.html