Fear of eels

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 14 15:34:49 UTC 2010

Perhaps.  But vervet monkeys (from an ancestor of
whom humans are descended) have three words to
warn of danger, one of which means "snake".  (The
other two are "leopard" and "eagle".  See, e.g.,
Nicholas Wade's Jan. 11/12 NYTimes
article.)  Perhaps it is really the dry, scaly
forest or savannah snake, not the wet, slimy
water-borne eel, that is our primal (primate?) fear.

Joel