McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 01:31:38 UTC 2010

Save yourself the effort, Judy. Tom Zurinskas has been around this list for
years, persistently not only failing to understand the most basic elements
of linguistic science, but refusing to even try. His website, truespel.com,
promotes his home-baked system for "phonetic spelling". I'll quote the first
paragraph; judge for yourself:

Truespel is the World’s first “pronunciation guide spelling system” based
> American English, the world’s most important language. It’s designed for the
> first time to integrate literacy tools, such dictionary pronunciation
> guides, translation guides, initial reading guides, and phonetic analysis
> tools by using one simple easy-to-use phonetic spelling. The word sounds for
> the truespel phonetic model are the voiced pronunciations in "talking"
> American English dictionaries, like m-w.com. With truespel, hearing the
> spoken word allows one to spell it phonetically merely by using 40 phonemes
> and stress and apostrophe rules. It is truly the simplest and only such
> phonetic spelling system there is today that is pronunciation guide quality.

After much grief and wasted effort, I no longer even see his emails, but
have them automatically routed to the trash.