Pied noir: an American connection? or maybe not...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 19:38:42 UTC 2010

Very true, Larry and Geoff.  I guess what distinguishes the recent
"reclamations" (except possibly "suffragette"), if anything, is that each
term was originally terribly pejorative rather than humorous or satirical.

Contrast "Tarheel," "Hoosier," even "Leatherhead" (uncommon, I think) with
"Puke," a Missourian.  Not a proud nickname in the Show-Me State today,
presumably because there's nothing funny about it.

Another difference, I would venture, is that reclamations like "queer" have
been reclaimed rather rapidly at the elite rather than the popular level,
the result, it seems, of intentionally applying theory to usage rather than
as part of a slow linguistic process.

JL