McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"] (UNCLASSIFIED)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 20 03:24:57 UTC 2010

Tom,

You might want to look at the Ethnologue at www.ethnologue.com to get
a better sense of languages in Africa.  The most widely spoken
language in Africa is Arabic, with about 100,000,000 speakers across
North Africa and Saharan countries like Sudan and Chad.  Hausa is
spoken as a first or second language by about 45 million in the
southern Sahara and Sahel, especially Niger, Nigeria, and Chad.
Swahili is spoken as a first language by about three quarters of a
million and as a second language by about 30 million, so it comes in
third at best.  You might also check a Swahili grammar and get some
sense of how phrases are formed.

Herb