Omission of definite article

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 20 14:11:07 UTC 2010

Strange stuff (to me) -- many of us have the same constraints in our
speech, but have difficulty expressing why.

I think Damien's analysis in terms of time and habit is on a useful
path.  But instead of "permanence" I wonder whether it is (for lack
of a perhaps better term) more nearly "habituation", as the OED says
"the condition of being habituated (to something)".  I'm "in bed"
because it's something I do (someplace I am) regularly (normally,
once a day); I'm "in the bed" when there's something unusual about
it, or specific in time.  I (US) don't say "at table", but for those
that do, if asked where they are (thus defining a specific moment),
would they answer "at table" or (as I am presuming) "at the table"?

Joel