political correctn

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Jan 22 02:20:22 UTC 2010

Dave Wilton wrote:
> True, "race" is a social, not a biological, construct. But the arbitrarily
> chosen traits upon which the social construct of race is based are genetic.

SSM: Race classifications are based on phenotypes, which are
ecology-specific reflections of genes.
> So Ron's point about the unfairness of criticizing someone for their genetic
> heritage, as opposed to chosen beliefs and opinions, holds.
>
> And in medicine and other biological applications race can sometimes serve
> as useful, if somewhat inaccurate, proxy for detailed genetic analysis
> (e.g., in screening for diseases that are more prevalent within certain
> racial/ethnic groups than in the population as a whole).

SSM: I didn't deny the usefulness of racial classifications, not any
more than I can deny abuses of the same classifications..