Borderline antisemitism [follow-up] (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 24 04:10:14 UTC 2010

Where does Limbaugh make clear that he himself is not one of the
prejudiced people? I may be unable to understand Limbaugh fully, for
the usual reasons, but it seems to me that he is clearly saying the
following:

For some people, _banker_ = "Jew"

Obama is assaulting "bankers."

Therefore, Obama is assaulting Jews.

As a consequence, Jews may now be wishing that they had not voted for Obama.

-Wilson

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: Borderline antisemitism [follow-up] (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> The ADL press release didn't include the full Limbaugh quote, which is
> as follows:
>
> "Look, folks, there are a lot of people who when you say "banker,"
> people think "Jewish."  People who have prejudice is the best way to put
> it. They have a little prejudice about them. So for some people,
> "banker" is code word for "Jewish," and guess who Obama's assaulting?
> He's assaulting bankers.  He's assaulting money people, and a lot of
> those people on Wall Street are Jewish.  So I wonder if there's starting
> to be some buyer's remorse there."
>
> Limbaugh is making it clear that the association between Jews and
> bankers is a sign of prejudice, and he is talking about prejudiced
> people.
>
> While the rest of the quote may be dumb, for the ADL to extract it from
> context was a mistake.

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain