Proverb enlargement!

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Jan 26 14:22:46 UTC 2010

1964  Phyllis Kronhausen and Eberhrd Kronhausen, _The Sexually Responsive Woman_ (New York: Grove) 75 (quoting a therapy client): "Someone said the size doesn't matter, but it certainly seems to matter to _me_. The times I came nearest to orgasm were all with men who were rather well endowed" (italics as shown).

1977  Lonnie Myers, "Size Does Matter," _Penthouse Forum_ 6, no. 4 (Jan.). The saying, with the emphatic auxiliary verb _does_, probably originated as a rebuttal of the proverb "SIZE doesn't matter"--as a so-called "counter-proverb."

"Counter-proverb" is a term that paremiologists sometimes use to designate an overt negation or sententious-sounding rebuttal of a proverb--an explicit denial of the proverb's asserted truth. Not infrequently, counter-proverbs become proverbs in their own right.

--Charlie