'looks like'

Baker, John M. JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jul 5 22:18:04 UTC 2010

This sounds like something that could be said in my native idiolect (south-central Kentucky).  I understand "looks like" to mean "under the circumstances, you would think," and "some time" to be hyperbole for "at least once."

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Lynne Murphy
Sent: Mon 7/5/2010 5:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: 'looks like'

A reader of my blog has sent me a query that's stumped me. Starting with an
example from _To kill a mockingbird_, he writes:

"Dill says of Boo Radley, musing on his reclusiveness, "Looks like he'd
stick his head out the door some time".  I *think* I've met this use (which
I can only make sense of by "translating" as "You'd think that...") a
handful of times since, ie over a period of getting on for 30 years
since I read the book, but I can't remember any specifics."

I agree that, in context, it looks like you have to read it as 'You'd think
he'd stick his head out', rather than 'It looks like he would stick his
head out sometimes', the context can be found at the bottom of page 12 on
this pdf version:

photo.goodreads.com/documents/1239291793books/2660.pdf

Is this a known use of 'looks like', or do we have to read the 'some time'
as 'sometimes' in spite of the contextual evidence?

Thanks in advance,
Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics