No subject

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 18 03:12:13 UTC 2010

> Imagine "whoa" as "hwoa"

Or "who" as "hwo"

Self continues to be the measure of all things.

Back in 1961, I got into a shouting match with a barracksmate from
Cincinnat[@] who'd more-or-less rhetorically asked,

"You ever notice that, in words that start with wh-, like "[w]at," the
-h- is never pronounced?"

Say *[hw]at*?!!! That was one of the most ignorant remarks that I'd
ever heard! [w]y, I knew people in *Saint Louis* from Cincinnat[@] and
they didn't be saying any "[w]at"! (Even though they did say
"Missour[@]." But that was okay. My Texan grandmother used
"Missour[@]," too.) They pronounced it the *right* way: "[hw]at"! Just
as *I* did!

As Stewie (cf. The Family Man) says, "Will [hw]eaton."

-Wilson

--
-Wilson
–––