journey

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 21 13:21:17 UTC 2010

OED includes this cliche' under 3b "fig., esp. the 'pilgrimage' or passage
through life."  But I think the def. needs to be tweaked to cover the media
throwaway uses like the following.

2010 _CNN Newsroom_ (July 25) (CNN TV): This is the story of the journey of
Shirley Sherrod....

It means "interesting life"  ("You've had quite a journey!") with no sense
of a "pilgrimage," which, of course, has a destination.  Today's "journeys"
are more interesting if undirected. No following "from...to" which would
make it more clearly figurative.  Note that "trip" is infrequently used this
way.

JL