Another [not] suspect quote: Ira Hayes

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 22 22:01:13 UTC 2010

Jon Lighter wrote:
>My three cents is that it's too depressing
>to have been reported in a newspaper in 1945 (coming from an Iwo Jima
>flag-raiser) or, frankly, at any time before the Vietnam War.

Quotation confirmed to 1945 (microfilm).

The Boston Daily Globe.  [A slightly different name from today's;
Continued by: Boston Globe]
Boston, Mass. : Globe Pub. Co., 1872-1960.
Microfilm. Wooster [sic], O. Proquest, microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
Harvard, Widener, holds 1940-1960.
Monday, May 14, 1945, page 9, col. 7.  [Article begins on col. 4]

Hub Throng Thrills 3 Iwo Heroes
Turnout in Rain Inspiring, Say Flag Raisers
By Hy Hurwitz
(Former Marine Corps Combat Correspondent)
[I think this means he had been a Marine, not merely a civilian correspondent.]

[start of article, col. 4:]  The people of Boston were an inspiration
to the three survivors of the historic flag-raising on Iwo Jima.

[col. 7:]  But these men will never forget their many friends who
will never enjoy the fruits of the victory.  "How can I feel like a
hero," said Hayes, "when only five men in my platoon of 45 survived,
when only 27 men in my company of 250 managed to escape death of
[sic; presumably should be "or"] injury."

[The illustration above has the caption "WAR TROPHIES---Jet bomb and
captured Germans passing down Tremont st. during yesterdays' Seventh
War Loan parade."]

[A digression to the sports section, page carelessly not recorded by
me (but before page 9), col. 1.]
Beecees' Lucas saw Suribachi Flag Raising; Got That Funny Feeling.
By Jerry Nason.  [Nason died in 1986.]
... The Marine survivors of that pictorial and historical incident
are in Boston today."

[col. 4:]  ... said Pfc. Rene Gagnon of Manchester, N. H., and his
buddies---Pfc Ira "The Chief" Hayes of Bapcule, Ariz., a Pima Indian,
full blood, and PhM 2c John Bradley of Appleton, Wis., concurred--- ...

[Is John Bradley related to the James Bradley of "the bestseller
_Flags of Our Fathers_, by James Bradley and Ron Powers
(2000)"?  (Who have quoted it accurately -- except for the of/or.)]

Joel