sponsor

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 01:25:00 UTC 2010

"Violence" can't "sponsor" anything, including "wars," in any ordinary sense
of "sponsor."

OED offers 3 defs.:

"1. a. To be surety for, to favour or support strongly.

b. To promote and support (a resolution, bill, etc.), esp. in a legislative
assembly.

"2. To pay, or contribute towards, the expenses of a radio or television
programme, a performance or other event or work, *spec.* in return for
advertising space or rights."

None of these fit the present context.  "Intangibly" helps distinguish the
writer's "sponsor" from what appears to be its inspiration, def. 2 above,
which involves something quite tangible, i.e. money.

Abstract ideas like "violence" can't "sponsor" anything or expect to derive
any advantage from their "action."

If "state-sponsored terrorism" is taken to mean the contribution of funds,
materiel, etc., for an expected gain in local prestige, strategic advantage,
etc., that's def. 2.   If all it means is the offering of guidance or
approval (a possibility which has not occurred to me till now), that's def.
1a in its attenuated nuance (OED offers only two cites, both from the
1880s).

Either way, the idea of something like "violence" "sponsoring" anything is
quite unknown to the 1989 OED as well as to MW and to me.

"Well," I hear someone snort, "the writer is merely speaking figuratively.
So what?"

Figuratively or not, this is an unrecorded sense of "sponsor."

JL