"anoint"; "sublime"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 25 15:58:11 UTC 2010

Did I say "misuse"?  I said "new."

Issued by a prestigious Ivy League press, the book cries "assiduousness"
from every page. It proves (at least to my satisfaction, ) that "war time"
(time for war) must be carefully distinguished from "wartime" (a period
during war, the antithesis of "peacetime"), as well as from "war time" (the
sense of duration one experiences when a war is being waged somewhere).
(This seems to pass much more slowly for persons who ruminate about the war
than for those who give it no thought.)

The posited "peacetime" and "wartime," however, are shown to be very weakly
defined categories: in texture, a moment of "wartime" on the field of
Waterloo   was (or can be conceived as having been) radically unlike the
very same moment of so-called "wartime" at Coleridge's house. Moreover, the
author proves that the Romantics and their predecessors could not have
communicated fully a Godlike, omniscient comprehension and personal
experience of the wars of the period even if they'd had one.

Our ability to fathom events in Iraq and Afghanistan is no better. And the
devilish distinction between "war time" and "wartime" still haunts us.

I would not toss this book aside lightly.

JL