"anoint"; "sublime"

Rick Barr rickbarremail at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 26 01:13:13 UTC 2010

WRT the use of "anoint" in the quotation that started this thread, I would
feel comfortable extrapolating a figurative sense from the original
definition of "anoint," that is, "to rub over with oil or an oily substance"
(MWU3). In this case, it would translate into something like "give
(something) an appearance of (something else)," "give a veneer of
(something) to (something else)," etc. Thus, applied to the quote itself, "we
might [...] end [by] [giving to] our own perplexity [the
character/appearance/veneer of] [...] war's sublime effects."

The figurative "anoint" might come from the perceived need to avoid
repeating "appear" or "appearance." Now what "sublime" amounts to here
exactly remains an open question. Context would probably be necessary to get
a better grasp of that one.

-- Rick