query: a cock and cock story

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 26 18:30:24 UTC 2010

True, but gender theorists are not quite the Vox Populi.  The possibility
that everyday usage in the South is in any way related to the conjectures
of intellectuals like Jacques Duval in the 16th C. seems remote indeed.

More relevant would be evidence that people who customarily refer to the
"vagina" by the rooster synonym customarily employ the same word for the
penis. (What evidence we do have suggests the opposite.) And even if some do
use the word that way, that alone would not mean that they consider the
organs to be meaningfully "the same."

JL