Submariner [was "thousand-yard stare"]

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Jul 27 18:15:51 UTC 2010

"Squid" is commonly used in the Army and the Air Force too, although they
probably have less opportunity to use it than do the Marines.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Bill Palmer
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:45 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Submariner [was "thousand-yard stare"]

Ah, good natured service rivalry.

I never heard "squid" used by anyone other than Marines to refer to the Navy
or naval personnel. The compliment is richly returned as "jarhead", or
"seagoing bellhop", inter alia, plus countless jokes pointing out the
general lack of intellectual capacity among Marines.

Yes,  "bubblehead" is common for submarine-ers, as is "sewerpipe sailor".

Bill P