hacker - golf player of limited proficiency (1934 September 5)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 29 19:28:21 UTC 2010

  I did mention earlier that soccer hacking is usually done with feet (I
specifically mentioned "kicking out at the shins"). I have since found
some GB references that trace this use back into the 1930s. The OED does
have "hack" as sports injury, as a result of a kick.

Hack n.1
> 2. c. Football. A cut or gash in the skin caused by a kick with the
> toe of a boot.

This goes back to 1857.

On the other hand, I have also come across the same terminology that
Garson found (mediocre player, etc.) but used as "hack" rather than "
hacker" (as in, "He's a hack.").

This one is from personal experience, so only extends back into the
1980s, although HDAS may have better info. But it also applies to almost
any field, not just sports. "Hacker" in this sense seems to be obsolete.

VS-)