hacker - golf player of limited proficiency (1934 September 5)

Thu Jul 29 20:23:17 UTC 2010

Garson wrote:
>>The excellent HDAS has hacker ^2 n. 1. a. Sports, esp. Tennis & Golf.
>>a player, often a beginner, demonstrating poor form or mediocre
>>ability. The first cite is 1949.

Joel wrote"
> But this too is not the fouler in basketball.

HDAS has: hack ^2 v. 7. Basketball (see 1977 quot.)
1977 Webster's Sports Dict: Hack … To strike the arm of an opponent
with the hand.

Victor's 1906 cite for "hacking" in Spalding's Official Basket Ball
Rules helps to illuminate the history of this sense.

 Victor wrote:
> On the other hand, I have also come across the same terminology that
> Garson found (mediocre player, etc.) but used as "hack" rather than "
> hacker" (as in, "He's a hack.").
>
> This one is from personal experience, so only extends back into the
> 1980s, although HDAS may have better info. But it also applies to almost
> any field, not just sports. "Hacker" in this sense seems to be obsolete.

HDAS has: hacker ^2 n. 1.b. Esp. Stu. any person of ordinary or
mediocre ability, motivation, etc. Also fig.
1968 is the first cite.

I think both words "hacker" and "hack" are used with this sense.

Garson