plaidoyer [WAS: dialectology in linguistics]

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Sat Jul 31 14:55:31 UTC 2010

Jon:

'I hope Damien was not unduly stung by my satire.  It wasn't clear to me who
was the writer of the "plaidoyer" passage, so I'm afraid I was less than my
usually tactful self.'

Stung, moi? No, not at all! I concede that, like Paul, my English may be
highly intertwined with my French - I am not bilingual, and live (now) in
an English-speaking country, but French is my speciality. Still, in its
English usage as 'impassioned plea', I rather like the word ...

But I notice that no-one commented when I used it on Twitter. But then, you
are talking about someone who received a tweet (mostly) in Old English the
other day. That's the way I roll on there.

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK