Acronymic Mockery, Folk Acronyms

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 13 22:30:26 UTC 2010

Department of Lost Causes

<irony>And you're really going to call them acronyms, not
initialisms?</irony>

(Sigh.) Even I have trouble pronouncing /bp/ as an acronym, rather than the
initialism /'bi:'pi:/ = "bee-pee".

On second thought, /bp/ does sound suggestive of a bubble of oil squeezing
its way out into the ocean.

Mark Mandel