Acronymic Mockery, Folk Acronyms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 13 23:47:24 UTC 2010

At 6:30 PM -0400 6/13/10, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Department of Lost Causes
>
><irony>And you're really going to call them acronyms, not
>initialisms?</irony>
>
>(Sigh.) Even I have trouble pronouncing /bp/ as an acronym, rather than the
>initialism /'bi:'pi:/ = "bee-pee".
>
>On second thought, /bp/ does sound suggestive of a bubble of oil squeezing
>its way out into the ocean.
>
>Mark Mandel

Well, one suggestion for their public relations staff might be to
trade in their now besmirched "BP" initialism for something more
customer-friendly, such as the clipronym "BritPet" (with a bulldog as
their mascot).  I think that would be almost as effective as my
earlier thought that they should replace Tony Heyward as apologist in
chief with Hugh Grant, who has some experience at this.

LH