Acronymic Mockery, Folk Acronyms (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Jun 14 15:05:32 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The Adidas sex "acronym" goes at least back to 1975, in my elementary school.

"Adidas" isn't an acronym, but comes from the founder's name:  Adi Dassler

Also found while looking this up:

Adidas -- All Day I Dream About Soccer, All Day I Dream About Sport, All day I dream about shoes, (Spanish) "Asociación De Idiotas Dispuestos A Superarse" ("Association Of Idiots Willing To Outdo Themselves")
NAACP -- Never Arrest Adam Clayton Powell
MARTA (Atlanta mass transit system) -- Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta
OMNI (civic arena in Atlanta) -- One Million N*****s Inside
Fiat -- Fix It Again Tony; Failure In Automotive Technology
  Many more automotive Backronyms at:   http://www.angelfire.com/az/NASCARFAN/page18.html

FBI -- Fumbling Bunch of Idiots
RSVP -- Refreshments Served Very Promptly
NASA (post shuttle disasters) -- Need Another Seven Astronauts, Not All Shuttles Arrive
USMC -- Uncle Sam's Misguided Children