Acronymic Mockery, Folk Acronyms (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Jun 14 16:05:58 UTC 2010

Neal Whitman wrote
>> Though the original word is not afaik an acronym, in 1979 my cousin
>> told me Adidas stood for "all day I dream about sex."

Bill Mullins wrote
> The Adidas sex "acronym" goes at least back to 1975, in my elementary school.
>
> "Adidas" isn't an acronym, but comes from the founder's name:  Adi Dassler

I think this means that Adidas *is* an acronym according to one
definition of the term. There are acronyms based on groups of initial
letters, e.g.,  Benelux derived from Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg.