another euphemism

Ann Burlingham ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM
Thu Jun 17 05:10:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: another euphemism
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM, victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> é„­lthough it seems clear that she's either going commando or rocking
>> an itsy-bitsy thong."
> [...]
>> Having lived a sheltered life, I am also unfamiliar with this meaning
>> of "rocking" (==sporting or is there more?).
>
> You'll want to check out the draft entry for "rock" (v.1) in the OED's
> latest quarterly update, particularly sense 12.c.: "To wear, esp. with
> panache; to display, flaunt, or sport (as a personally distinctive
> style, accessory, possession, etc.)" (with cites back to 1987).

I use it; I think of it as an extension of "you rock!"

i used it caption a photo of a friend last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35702024@N00/3879755745/

here's a rocking outfit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherineandpunky/3580670491/

another flickr.com user notes that her dressed-up doll's "outfit rocks
more than mine"

these lederhose rock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/da-anda/3994905579/

and I see a website reporting "Miley Cyrus Rocking A Lady Gaga Inspired Outfit"