getting his freak

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 18 07:14:07 UTC 2010

"... gets her *catwalk* on"?! Well, at least she's not a poseur like
Dr. John and his ridiculous "Jump _Sturdy_."

Saying "get her catwalk on" is as stupid - in the old sense - as
saying, "get her car on" instead of "get her drive on."

Unless there's a verb, "to catwalk," of which I am unaware, with the
appropriate meaning.

Youneverknow.

-Wilson

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: getting his freak
>
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Steve Kleinedler <stevekl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Several years ago I sent Jonathan Lighter a copy of an issue of The
>> Weekly Dig, a Boston publication, which used the "get your _____ on"
>> frame about 100 times in that issue, in a tongue-in-cheek comment on
>> the overuse of that phrase.
>
> That's in the '05 discussion I linked to upthread:
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0508C&L=ADS-L&P=R7451
>
> Here's another usage from a recent episode of the Bravo reality show
> "The Real Housewives of New Jersey":
>
> ---
> http://avagacser.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/the-real-housewives-of-new-jersey-are-back/
> Teresa’s oldest daughter, Gia, tries out as a Fashion Week model here.
> “When Gia gets her catwalk on, she gets it on,” vows Teresa.
> ---
>
> --Ben Zimmer

-Wilson
–––