Speakers of AmE needed for 5-min web-recording survey

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 20 14:47:06 UTC 2010

Morning all,
Many thanks for posting this Damien.
I just wanted to add some information.
We do mean to include Canadian varieties (sorry if I wasn't very clear
about that). We are also particularly keen to get a broad sample of
ages, ethnicities and backgrounds.
The web site does not have much information about the purpose of the
study. That was deliberate, we didn't want to get into too much detail
about the survey on the web while we're still collecting the bulk of
the data in case it influences who responds and how they respond
(beyond, of course, the fact that reading monosyllables into an
internet recorder is not a typical mode of human communication!).
We're interested in a lot of different questions -- and I keep
thinking of new things that could be done with a dataset like the one
we're planning! -- but the main focus is on different types and
degrees of variation within communities and between them. That's why
we're aiming for at least 2500 speakers, and perhaps eventually up to
10,000, though that would require rather more in the way of coding
personnel than we have at present.

We are planning to make the dataset available eventually (we've only
just begun collecting data and coding so it will be a while). I'd be
happy to answer any questions about the technical side of the data
collection and tagging (either on or off-list). In the meantime, we
have a map of the sample origins at
http://maps.google.com/?q=http://pantheon.yale.edu/~clb3/zips.kmz

Any help list members can provide by completing the survey and
distributing the link to professional and social networks would be
greatly appreciated.
Claire