Three pairs of pronunciation

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 28 17:32:13 UTC 2010

At 6/28/2010 12:55 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>At 11:43 AM -0400 6/28/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>>I am fairly certain I have never talked about "mourning coat/dress/attire"
>>
>>I accept your point about the Aeschylus/O'Neill plays. There would be no
>>way to divine the proper spelling from my pronunciation.
>>
>>DanG
>
>I suspect I also misparsed "mourning dove" the first time I heard the
>reference, and from googling "morning dove" I suspect I'm not alone
>in doing so.

Some of us read more than we listen.  :-)  Thus I never confused
"Mourning Becomes Electra" (which I've actually read), or "mourning
dress" (having encountered the latter in descriptions of 18th-century
funeral processions), or "mourning dove".

P.S.  The play(s) are by Sophocles and Euripides (Aeschylus's trilogy
"The Oresteia" does not have a part titled "Electra"), and do not
have "mourning" in their titles.

Joel