co-equal

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 30 18:09:43 UTC 2010

ISTM that "co-equal" generally means "equal in rank/power, with neither/none
entitled to command the other(s)", while "equal" as a predicate is generally
applied to magnitudes.

As a quotation, "All men are created equal" doesn't bear on this question,
unless (imho) the objectionable sentence alluded to it, e.g. by using
"created co-equal".

The noun "[X's] equal" -- "He is your equal", "We are equals", and whether
or not extended with something like "in {that respect / all respects}" -- is
a different construction and likewise irrelevant.

m a m