co-equal

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 30 18:40:12 UTC 2010

You may be right _sub specie aeternis_ but whether the distinction is true
for all or most speakers is unknown.

It isn't, as the PJ insisted, a matter of contrast. The OED evidence fails
to confirm the view of either the PJ or the listener.  It implies instead
that "equal" historically subsumes "co-equal."  "Equal" always works, even
when "co-equal" doesn't.

JL