pr0n (1994) gamerpr0n pr0n* - words constructed from letters, numbers, and other characters

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Mar 18 12:55:04 UTC 2010

I like Garson's hypothesis of calculator spelling being the origin of
l33tspeak, having engaged in it myself as a kid in the 70s and 80s
with early calculators with those displays where the characters were
made out of 7 lines arranged as two squares on top of each other. We
used to enjoy punching in 7334 - turn upside down and it was "hell."
Giggles would ensue. Make it 07334 and it became the innocuous
"hello" and you could pretend the thing was talking to you. I *think*
there were some early calculator "tricks," if you would, where you
were given numbers and functions to put in and the product, when
turned upside down, would spell out a word.

But I don't use 1337speak. I never got into either bulletin boards
nor the early text games (like the original Zelda?), so I think those
were also key in the development of 1337speak.

I am old enough to remember guys in the campus computer lab printing
out nudie pictures on dot-matrix printers: the pictures were composed
of all the various keyboard symbols. Ah, programming.

---Amy West