pr0n (1994) gamerpr0n pr0n* - words constructed from letters, numbers, and other characters

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Mar 18 13:28:24 UTC 2010

There were other little folk games with the old hand-held calculators. Back in the 1980s, my son and his male peers (about 10 years old) knew narratives and riddles that involved punching in numbers (sometimes adding numbers) with the would result that interesting words would appear on the tiny upsidedown screen. One, I remember, culminated in "ShELLOIL." Another, concerning Dolly Parton (a figure that played a large role in the minds of that folkgroup), yielded the word "BOOBS."

The kids were learning about numbers and words and technology and capitalism and sex all at once!

--Charlie