Modern Proverb: Life is just one damn thing after another (slight antedating 1909 July 20)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 19 22:14:11 UTC 2010

It should be noted that the attestation in _The Practical Printer_ (Jul. 1909) is an instance of what Wolfgang Mieder has termed an "anti-proverb"--a parody or ironic contextualization of a proverb. In the present case, the saying occurs in an ad for a process of reporducing book-length text (somehow) by the use of carbon paper--"one after another." Of course, an anti-proverb constitutes evidence that the proverb itself is expected to be known to readers, who can then appreciate the irony.

--Charlie