Modern Proverb: Life is just one damn thing after another (slight antedating 1909 July 20)

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 19 22:56:28 UTC 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Charles Doyle wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Modern Proverb: Life is just one damn thing after
> another
>              (slight antedating 1909 July 20)
>
> It should be noted that the attestation in _The Practical Printer_
> (Jul. 1909) is an instance of what Wolfgang Mieder has termed an
> "anti-proverb"--a parody or ironic contextualization of a proverb.
> In the present case, the saying occurs in an ad for a process of
> reporducing book-length text (somehow) by the use of carbon
> paper--"one after another." Of course, an anti-proverb constitutes
> evidence that the proverb itself is expected to be known to readers,
> who can then appreciate the irony.
>
> --Charlie

John Masefield wrote a book called ODTAA,  and a recent, though late,
popular detective story writer (can't think of his name, worked as a
chef in France but wrote in English) had a book in which the central
couple found the expression "Odtaa" a useful adjective, as in "That's
very odtaa."  It was left to the reader to figure out what was meant
by the word.
AM