ept

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 21 17:49:19 UTC 2010

Isn't there a famous essay containing dozens of
(using only?) such formations, like "ept" and
"couth"?  Didn't I see it here? ... Yes I did
(but it doesn't contain "couth", probably because
it's too couth -- see the OED):

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:41:55 +0800, From Laurence Horn.

How I met my wife
by Jack Winter
Published 25 July 1994 in the New Yorker

It had been a rough day, so when I walked into
the party I was very chalant, despite my efforts
to appear gruntled and consolate.

I was furling my wieldy umbrella for the coat
check when I saw her standing alone in a corner.
She was a descript person, a woman in a state of
total array. Her hair was kempt, her clothing
shevelled, and she moved in a gainly way.

I wanted desperately to meet her, but I knew I'd
have to make bones about it since I was
travelling cognito. Beknownst to me, the hostess,
whom I could see both hide and hair of, was very
proper, so it would be skin off my nose if
anything bad happened. And even though I had only
swerving loyalty to her, my manners couldn't be
peccable. Only toward and heard-of behavior would do.

Fortunately, the embarrassment that my maculate
appearance might cause was evitable. There were
two ways about it, but the chances that someone
as flappable as I would be ept enough to become
persona grata or a sung hero were slim. I was,
after all, something to sneeze at, someone you
could easily hold a candle to, someone who usually aroused bridled passion.

So I decided not to risk it. But then, all at
once, for some apparent reason, she looked in my
direction and smiled in a way that I could make heads and tails of.

I was plussed. It was concerting to see that she
was communicado, and it nerved me that she was
interested in a pareil like me, sight seen.
Normally, I had a domitable spirit, but, being
corrigible, I felt capacitated---as if this were
something I was great shakes at---and forgot that
I had succeeded in situations like this only a
told number of times. So, after a terminable
delay, I acted with mitigated gall and made my
way through the ruly crowd with strong givings.

Nevertheless, since this was all new hat to me
and I had no time to prepare a promptu speech, I
was petuous. Wanting to make only called-for
remarks, I started talking about the hors
d'oeuvres, trying to abuse her of the notion that
I was sipid, and perhaps even bunk a few myths about myself.

She responded well, and I was mayed that she
considered me a savory character who was up to
some good. She told me who she was. "What a
perfect nomer," I said, advertently. The
conversation became more and more choate, and we
spoke at length to much avail. But I was
defatigable, so I had to leave at a godly hour. I
asked if she wanted to come with me. To my
delight, she was committal. We left the party
together and have been together ever since. I
have given her my love, and she has requited it.