"Virginia ham", now 1786

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 28 00:14:06 UTC 2010

Previously I had antedated the OED's 1833 for "Virginny ham" with an
advertisement from 1795 and a sentence from 1803.  Now, prompted by
Bill Mullins' comment about Mt. Vernon menus, I can go back to 1786.

The Papers of George Washington, Confederation Series, Vol. 4 (April
1786 - January 1787), p. 104.

Mount Vernon, 1786 June 8, letter to Marquis de la Fayette [as
spelled by George].

Nothing new has occurred since it was written, nor should I have
given you the trouble of a second letter by the same ship, had I not
forgotten to mention in my last that Mrs Washington had packed & sent
for Madame de la Fayette's acceptance, a barrel of Virginia Hams.  I
do not know that they are better, or so good as you make in France,
but as they are of our own manufacture (and you know the Virginia
Ladies value themselves on the goodness of their bacon), and we
recollect that it is a dish of which you are fond, she prevailed on
me to ask your's & Madame de la Fayette's acceptance of them.

[This from _The Papers of George Washington Digital Edition_, ed.
Theodore J. Crackel.  Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press,
Rotunda, 2007.  The paper edition was checked out from my large
university library.]

Joel