lamestream

Wed Mar 31 00:24:31 UTC 2010

In 1994 senator Howard Metzenbaum used the term lame-stream as a
mocking reference to mainstream. But he was not referring to media. He
was referring to a political coalition that he opposed.

1994 September 19, ADA NEWS (American Dental Association), Page 13,
Reform, Chicago, llinois. (NewspaperArchive)

The self-styled "mainstream" coalition is not without Senate critics,
Ohio Democrat Howard Metzenbaum calling its eleventh hour plan a
"lame-stream" proposal.

There are hits a few days earlier in the Washington Times on 1994
September 7 and 13, but I cannot check them with a full view at this
time.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=%22crass+lame+stream%22&

An obituary for Howard Metzenbaum in the Washington Post dated 2008
March 14 does include a 1994 quote from him that includes the term
lame-stream.

Sen. Metzenbaum rarely pulled his punches. He was so incensed by the
opposition to President Bill Clinton's universal health care proposal
in 1994 that he called a counterproposal from a bipartisan group of
moderates "a callow, heartless idea, a harebrained, cruel, crass,
'lame-stream' proposal, one of the most absurd things I've ever heard
of."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/12/AR2008031204487.html

Garson