lamestream

Wed Mar 31 01:50:41 UTC 2010

The first citation I could find for lamestream or lame-stream as a
derisive version of mainstream is in 1990. Barry Popik's excellent
1999 cite was for "lamestream media".

1990 December, Spin magazine, House Music Map of the Western World,
Page 32, SPIN Media LLC.

In the meantime, we listen to "Vogue" and other remixed B sides of
lame-stream artists that have been fashionably house-ified.

http://books.google.com/books?id=RDWxkmx1bj4C&q=lame+stream#v=snippet&

A January 2008 message in the ADS archive mentions Australia's
Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year voting. The word lamestream was
a candidate.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0801B&L=ADS-L&P=R3359

Garson