"Inside of a dog"

Sat May 1 00:49:22 UTC 2010

Many thanks to Jonathan Lighter for checking the 1974 citation. Some
Groucho Marx quotes may be difficult to verify definitively without
databases of transcripts for radio and television shows.

While searching I came across a metaphorical expression about the
inside of a dog that was new to me: "as black as the inside of a dog."
Why this particular mammal was selected to illustrate the difficulty
of photons reaching the interior of an object I do not know. By 1907
the expression was already ornate:

Citation: 1907 July 31, Punch, Our Booking Office, Page 90, Punch
Publications Ltd.

… dark as the inside of a black dog shut up in a coal cellar …

http://books.google.com/books?id=MgkIAQAAIAAJ&q=%22dog+shut%22#v=snippet&

No wonder it was difficult to read in there.

Garson