OT: More broadcast journalism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 1 14:53:13 UTC 2010

I think you mean Joe Arapaio.  This was Clarence Dupnik. He opposes the new
law on the truly conservative basis that you shouldn't pass unnecessary
laws.

(The populist neo-faux-conservative idea is, the more laws the better as
long as they don't inhibit you personally.)

It's one thing to believe in angels, another to expect the Antichrist in
your own lifetime. And it's something else again for an American to suspect
that the President of the United States, duly elected by tens of millions of
fellow citizens and vetted by an established national party is really him.

The only hope is that the nuts can't be 100% sure he isn't, so their
low-confidence belief level leads them to say "maybe."

But 24% is a hell of a lot of Republicans to say even "maybe."

I'm more concerned by the 25% of *all adults* reported to believe Obama is
"a domestic enemy" as spoken of in the Constitution (not that they have much
of a grap of that), and the 29% who believe he's getting ready to turn the
U.S. over to a shadowy "one-world government," and the 23% who expect him to
make his move for dictatorship under cover of a national crisis (possibly
engineered, one imagines, by himself).

Proportionally these seem to be extraordinary numbers. I don't know, though,
whether similar polls were taken during previous administrations.  Possibly
not: the quetions would have seemed too weird.

I do know that a Gullup survey in September, 1945, found that 20% of
American adults would not accept the Japanese surrender and demanded
continued atom bombing until there were no Japanese.

Jon