Antedating of "Outside the Box" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon May 3 22:51:53 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       victor steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Antedating of "Outside the Box" (UNCLASSIFIED)

> --------
>

> To make matters even more interesting, as far as the puzzle is
> concerned, Gardner had proposed a solution that uses only three
> lines--provided we are dealing with "physical dots" or circles, not
> geometric points. I'll leave it to your outside the box thinking to
> figure that one out.

Realizing that all your books are in storage, can you point me in the
direction of the Gardner cite?  I have his collected columns from
Scientific American on CD-ROM and searched them for this puzzle, and
came up with nothing.