drill down on

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 4 19:33:06 UTC 2010

For at least the last couple of months, CNN has been affecting "drill down
on" to replace ordinary, boring verb phrases like "report on,"
"investigate," "turn attention to," "concentrate on," "analyze," and so
forth.

For example [http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1003/05/rlst.01.html]
(March 5):

"I am going to be drilling down on this fellow throughout this hour. But
first,..."

CNN is hardly alone:
http://excelle.monster.com/benefits/articles/4543-20-worst-business-buzzwords
already
lists "drill down on" as one of the "20 Worst Business Buzzwords."

JL