"Throw the Bums Out"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 7 01:27:19 UTC 2010

There is a great story in the NYTimes:

http://bit.ly/a0eEIB
August 4, 1929, Sunday
Section: Arts & Leisure, Page X13, 608 words

"Ladies Days are becoming a feature in the Western circuit of the big
baseball leagues. William Wrigley started the revival of a custom which
was tried out twenty years ago. At that time few ball players held
college degrees; play was more brutal; players and fans were
uncomfortable among women spectators. Bleacherites felt that they could
not shout "kill the pitcher" and "throw the bum out" with women around
to render "ahs" and "ohs" after each colloquialism..."

DanG