my bad

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 7 19:14:00 UTC 2010

Jon writes,

"Constant readers will observe that this isn't the first time that one of my
recollections of minute diachronic detail has proved to be mistaken."

Check yourself, my brother! Isn't any big thing. If I couldn't call
upon my memory, it almost wouldn't be *anything* that I would be
knowing. My recall of words and phrases always be correct, if can't
anybody *prove* it wrong. But wouldn't anybody be getting a chance to
prove my powers of recall weak, if I didn't be posting from memory!

Sometimes, I do be double-checking, though, prior to posting. But only
when *I* think that I may be wrong.

OTOH, doesn't be anything wrong behind retracting an assertion or a
claim, if, by chance, it does be shown that one be done posted an
error in error.

Cf., e.g. the undocumented and probably undocumentable PHATT that
still the hands of memory be weaving, a blissful dream of long ago
(sixty years).

-Wilson

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: my bad
>
> I don't have a copy of the book either, so I can't vouch for what may be in
> the main text. OED dates its Wielgus & Wolff citation to "1986."  But it
> looks as though it comes not from the _In-Your-Face Basketball Book_ (1980)
> but from a sequel.
>
> Somehow, during the discussion, the identity of which "Wielgus & Wolff" boo=
> we were talking about became confused. I apologize if I aided or created th=
> confusion.
>
> Constant readers will observe that this isn't the first time that one of my
> recollections of minute diachronic detail has proved to be mistaken.  I wil=
> bear this in mind to avoid future, bitter humiliations.
>
> At least there *is* a 1980 W & W book about pick-up basketball with a slang
> glossary in it.  For this I am thankful.
>
> (An oversize paperback with large print and many illustrations, I hope?)
>

> JL
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: my bad
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>>
>> I've never seen any edition of the book; I was going on the
>> assertion that it was in the 1980 ed.
>>
>> Jesse Sheidlower
>> OED
>>
>> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 02:19:20PM -0400, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
>> > Jon,
>> >
>> > I have a copy of the 1980 edition of this book, and in a quick glance I
>> don't see "my bad" in the glossary.  Do you remember seeing it in the
>> glossary or somewhere else in the book?
>> >
>> > Fred

-Wilson
–––