To codge?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 12 19:34:34 UTC 2010

Apparently uncommon in print.  Sampling Google Books for "codge/ed/es/ing":

Cassell's dictionary of Slang has "codge up", v. [19C] to repair,
usu. badly or clumsily ... [Yorks. dial. codge, to patch up, to mend
badly ...]  (So "codge together" in my oral, 2010 example.  Does
Cameron come from Yorkshire or Leicestershire?)

Starting with the remotest, _Leicetershire words, phrases, and
proverbs, 1848, has "codge", to do a thing clumsily.

Nothing else before 1850 (except in German, French, or
Latin).  Except 2 instances of "codging" as an adjective, in "a
codging Milner", 1843, Parliamentary Papers; and "replied the
codging, smiling lad of the hand-towel", 1843, _The Man-o-War's
Man.  [Not verified.]  Neither seems related to "cobbling something together".

Later than 1850, I find only the following:

In 1851, "codging" ("and who was ' in the codging (patching) way.'";
"If there must be lying and codging and false pretences").

In 1866, "codge" ("hoo con codge up a pack o lies better than
anybuddy ut aw know")

Joel