To codge?

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 13 05:04:22 UTC 2010

And I know "cadge" and before I'd posted, looked up the definition
with my quickie answers.com point'n'click

cadge (kăj)
intr. & tr.v., cadged, cadg·ing, cadg·es.
To beg or get by begging.

[Perhaps back-formation from obsolete cadger, peddler, from Middle
English cadgear.]

cadger cadg'er n.

SYNONYMS   cadge, beg, bum, mooch, panhandle. These verbs mean to ask
for or obtain by charity: cadged a meal; begging for change; bum a
ride; mooching food; homeless people forced to panhandle.

"Cadge together" is in current use and used in a begging and cobbling
together way that would make sense with his statement.

--
Sal Towse

Ye olde swarm of links: thousands of links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious <http://writers.internet-resources.com>