"bold" in Hiberno-Irish -- was: Re: "Bold Language"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 15 12:49:18 UTC 2010

>Terence Patrick Dolan, _A Dictionary of Hiberno-English_ (rev., 2004) has: "BOLD adj. naughty, mischievous"

So the Star Trek slogan "To boldly go where no man has gone before" means they were doing it to be "naughty and mischievious"?  Perhaps not.

I would say IMHO that definition is the exact opposite of the usual sense.  We've got the word "brazen" for that definition.  Let's boldly keep "bold" as "courageous and heroic" as its usual definition.

If we boldly told Mr. Dolan this, he might say we were following his definition - being n&m.  Boldness in the eyes of the beholder.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling